I am your father!
Obrázok používateľa

Založený: 16.07.2004
Body: 222
Pohlavie: Muž

Neprítomný
Odpoveď s citáciou
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/05/jrr-tolkien-nobel-prize

Tolkiena pred 50timi rokmi nominovali na Nobelovu cenu za literaturu, ktoru ale nakoniec nevyhral. Teraz, po 50tich rokoch, sa odtajnili dokumenty vtedajsej poroty, ktore ukazuju, ze Tolkien nevyhral kvoli nizkej kvalite jeho prozy.

Citácia:
The prose of Tolkien – who was nominated by his friend and fellow fantasy author CS Lewis – "has not in any way measured up to storytelling of the highest quality", wrote jury member Anders Österling.

Co si o tom myslite? Suhlasite s nazorom poroty?

EDIT: mozno este na zamyslenie, v literarnej obci existuje nazor, ze Tolkienova proza sa sice tazko cita potichu, no je idealna na hlasne citanie. Tolkien bol odbornik na anglictinu a vraj si daval dost zalezat na to, ako jeho text zneje, ked sa cita nahlas.

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2612132&cid=38647368 napísal:
I'm in shock that so may people here agree that Tolkien's prose is a problem. Far from that being the case, Tolkien is so sensitive to prose rhythm that I use it from time to time to teach how to appreciate rhythm in prose or poetry. Take, for example, the ride of the Rohirrim, at the end of chapter 5 of the Return of the King. It starts off at a walk ("Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering.") picks up a bit to a trot ("But at that same moment there was a flash, as if lightning had sprung from the earth beneath
the City. For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle: and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great _boom_.") a canter ("With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains."), and then a full-out gallop ("Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first _éored_ roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken.") Then, once the cavalry has bashed through the enemy lines and the fighting's intensity lags, we slow down to a walk again ( And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.") I could also point out the careful word choice for alliteration ("and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder") and assonance ("the host of Rohan"). Reading this page aloud is a joy. If you appreciate the King James Bible, or Old English poetry, you can appreciate this.

But he doesn't always write in this style. There are homely conversations between country folk, and orders in the field, and descriptions of landscapes, and "dropped in" details that suggest thousands of years of history that are simply not explained, but make Middle Earth seem real.

By the way, I would take Ursula Le Guin's opinion on prose quality pretty seriously. She is a fan of Tolkien's writing, too, calling it "a great wind blowing" that could have overwhelmed her own voice if she had read it earlier than she did. (http://greenbooks.theonering.net/tribut ... eguin.html)

So, again, I don't get where this opinion that Tolkien writes badly. The man put more care into a sentence than others do in a chapter.

-Gareth

Profil ICQ  

röndör
Obrázok používateľa

Založený: 21.07.2004
Body: 310

Neprítomný
Odpoveď s citáciou
Ale to bude zase nerdrageu, ze Tolkien to mal dostat, a ze ti nehanebnici nevedia ocenit kvalitu.

V 1962 vyhral Steinbeck (Na vychod od raja, Hrozna hnevu ;-)...) a mozno bolo este viac inych vyznamnejsich autorov.. a dnes to uz nema zmysel. Tak ci onak, Tolkien bol stale okrajovy autor pre istu subkulturu. Dnes sa vynasa jednak kvoli spopularizovaniu a jednak kvoli davke nostalgie, ale stale len v istej subkulture (Heck, este aj Ursula Le Guin).

Inak nechapem napr. logicky skrat "has not measured ... => writes badly".

Profil ICQ  

Commander
Obrázok používateľa

Založený: 04.04.2006
Body: 398

Neprítomný
Odpoveď s citáciou
Pisal rozhodne inac nez akykolvek "profesionalny" alebo vystudovany autor co urcite mohlo vela zavazit.
Citat Tolkiena nahlas je naozaj prijemnejsie nez potichu sam pre seba, sam som sa divil kolkorat opakuje vyrazy podobne veci ale ked sa z toho spravi ciatanie tak sa to uzasne pocuva.

röndör
Obrázok používateľa

Založený: 21.07.2004
Body: 310

Neprítomný
Odpoveď s citáciou
To je otazka, co je to profesionalny alebo vystudovany autor. Z tych otcov klasikov malokto bol vystudovany, vacsina mala talent a jednoducho sa pisanim zlepsovala (a robili povestne divoke prace, Steinbeck bol turisticky sprievodca a spravca rybnika :-))

Profil ICQ  

Schattenjäger Inquisitor
Obrázok používateľa

Založený: 14.05.2006
Body: 61

Neprítomný
Odpoveď s citáciou
ja sa nedivim.

Across that angry or that glimmering sea ...

fly me to the moon and let me dance among the stars
=][=

Vytvoriť novú tému Odpovedať na tému  [ Počet príspevkov: 5 ] 

Všetky časy sú v UTC + 1 hodina [ letný čas ]

Kto je prítomný

Ľudia sediaci pri tomto stole: Žiadny registrovaný používateľ a 8 hostí.